Canada Greener Homes Loan
The Canada Greener Homes Loan Program helps Canadians make their homes more energy efficient and comfortable. It offers interest-free financing in addition to the Canada Greener Homes Grant to help you complete some of the more major retrofits recommended by your energy advisor.
The loan can only help you finance eligible products and installations that are part of a retrofit that is both recommended by an energy advisor and eligible for the grant.
To begin work in your home, a portion of the loan can be delivered to you up front. Contractors often require a down payment for these types of projects. The balance of the loan will be delivered upon successful completion of the retrofits, and verification through a post-retrofit evaluation.
Loan program Details
Repayment term: 10 years, interest-free
Improvements Might Include Upgrades to The Following:
- Heat Pumps
- Air Sealing
- Heat Pump Water Heaters
(eligible for northern and off-grid community residents only)
(eligible for northern and off-grid community residents only)
- Renewable Energy
(solar photovoltaic systems)
- Home Insulation
- Windows and Doors
- Resiliency Measures
Remember, before you can apply for the loan program, you must:
- Be approved for the Greener Homes Grant.
- Have a pre-retrofit evaluation done and have your renovation upgrade report.
- Receive quotes from contractors for the retrofits you plan to do.
June 17, 2022 – The Canada Greener Homes Loan is now open to:
- Eligible applicants who are applying to Canada Greener Homes Grant.
- Active applicants at the pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation stage with the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
By August 31, 2022, The Canada Greener Homes Loan will open to:
Homeowners who have already received a grant or requested a post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation under the Canada Greener Homes Grant and want to apply for any remaining eligible retrofits they are interested in pursuing and have not yet commenced.
There Are a Few Eligibility Requirements to Meet Before Applying For The Loan:
- You must apply and be eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant
- You must be a Canadian homeowner and your home must be your primary residence
- You have completed pre-retrofit evaluation of your home dated April 01, 2020 or later
- You have a good credit history and aren’t under:
- a consumer proposal
- an orderly payment of debt program
- a bankruptcy or equivalent insolvency proceeding
You will be asked to share financial information to demonstrate that you have the financial capacity to repay the loan.
This Loan Does Not Apply to The Following Work:
- work that you’ve already started or completed
- retrofits that haven’t been recommended by an energy advisor
- retrofits that are not eligible for a Canada Greener Homes Grant
- retrofits that aren’t included in your application
Low-Rise Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (MURBS):
Individual homeowners living in a low-rise MURB must meet the additional eligibility criteria for MURBs outlined in the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
Indigenous Group Applicants:
- You are eligible to register multiple homes
- You must own the home(s) or have a formal partnership to represent the owners, but the homes do not need to be the owner’s primary residence
- Your home must be occupied by an Indigenous household
- You must select at least one eligible retrofit for each property subject to the loan
Please note You will only receive your final loan amount after your completed work has been verified through a post-retrofit evaluation.
How To Apply
Check your eligibility and submit an application to the Canada Greener Homes Grant. In order to apply for the loan, you must be eligible for the grant.
A service organization will reach out to schedule a pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation of your home with an energy advisor. They will evaluate your home and make recommendations on how to make it more energy efficient and resistant to climate change.
Only retrofits that have been recommended by an energy advisor and are from the grant’s list of eligible retrofits and installations are eligible for the loan.
Review the report’s recommendations and decide which retrofits work best for your budget and renovation plans. Speak with contractors and get at least 1-3 quotes for each of the retrofits in your plan.
You can’t ask for a bigger loan if you decide to do more retrofits later, so it’s important to plan your work in advance before applying for the loan.
Log in to your Canada Greener Homes Grant account and click on the button to access the loan portal. To submit your application, you will have to upload documentation to the loan portal, such as:
- your property tax statement
- your driver’s license or other government issued ID together with a utility bill
- a confirmation of income and employment (for example, a job letter or a T4 slip)
- your quotes from contractors
Based on your application, the program will calculate the maximum loan amount you are approved for. To activate your loan offer, you will be asked to carefully review the information and accept the Loan Agreement. Please note: a portion of the loan can be delivered to you up front in order to pay applicable down payments to contractors. The balance of the loan will be delivered upon successful completion of the retrofits, and verification through a post-retrofit evaluation.
You can access a portion* of your loan funds in advance to pay for upfront costs, such as paying a deposit to your contractor. You can request the advance on your loan during your application by demonstrating that an upfront payment is required. You can do that by uploading the quotes you received from contractors and by entering the deposit amounts required to do the retrofit.
* Up to a maximum of 15% of the eligible cost of retrofits requiring an upfront payment. This amount is increased to 25% if your property is located in the North or off-grid.
Start your work and make sure to keep copies of all your receipts and invoices along the way.
Once the retrofits are complete, contact your service organization to request a Post-Retrofit EnerGuide evaluation. An energy advisor will evaluate the impact of your improvements and provide you with an updated EnerGuide label and a new report that estimates how much you can receive for your grants.
The energy advisor will update the information related to your final evaluation in the grant portal including the estimates of your final grant amount. You will also have to upload all your final invoices/receipts to the grant portal and receipts for the retrofits to the loan portal. The loan amount will be reviewed again based on the actual cost of the completed retrofits, less the recommended grant amount.
- If the actual costs of the completed retrofits are lower than the initial cost estimates, it will be adjusted downwards.
- If the actual costs are higher than the initial cost estimate, it will not increase.
The final approved loan amount will be deposited into your bank account (less the initial advance, if you received one) within 10 days.
You will receive detailed information on the repayment of your loan over the 10-year period.
Home Energy Audit Booking
Take the first step towards a greener and more cost-effective future by scheduling a home energy inspection today!
Our professional team of experts is here to help you uncover hidden energy inefficiencies in your home. During the inspection, we will thoroughly assess your property, identifying areas where energy is being wasted and providing you with valuable recommendations for improvement.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to improve your home’s energy efficiency. Our team is ready to assist you in creating a more energy-efficient and comfortable living space. Take control of your energy usage and start saving today!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, the loan and its performance will be reported to the credit bureau.
he Government of Canada has other resources to support more sustainable and affordable housing: